Thursday, August 18, 2011

Prayer and Praise: where would I be without them?

This has been a crazy week. Next week will be crazier. I can't imagine struggling through these weeks without the connection of praise and prayer with my Savior and Lord.

I think that I am listening/singing (loudly)/humming to some praise or worship song on the radio, through my ipod, or in my head, at least twice an hour (my family would probably disagree: I do it way more often than that!). Even if I am just humming a Christian song out of habit, having godly lyrics going through my head is an encouragement. Scripture does say: "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8). Singing praise is one of the ways that my spirit can communicate with my Savior: giving Him glory for everything He is, everything He has done, and everything I know He will do. It also is one way God uses to speak to me. Lyrics can remind me of His promises, His Word, and His working in my life. Music really does affect your attitude, and listening to godly songs lifts my spirit :).

Prayer is a lifeline in my life. When I feel overwhelmed (which seems to be happening often), aggravated, nervous, or elated, I can confidently cry out to my Lord, knowing that He hears me and will answer my cry:
Proverbs 15:29 ~ "...he heareth the prayer of the righteous."
Matthew 21:22 ~ "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
1 Thessalonians 5:17 ~ "Pray without ceasing."
I didn't understand that last verse until the last two years. That is when I started a continuous conversation with God. I had just started at jcp, and was continually asking Him to guide me, strengthen me, help me, and show me how to be a light for Him. Now, prayer comes easily: whether I am asking Him to get me safely there and use me while I work to share others about Him as I drive to work,  asking Him to show me where a particular shirt is hung in the store, even to pleading for Him to give me patience with a customer, I know that He hears me. And ya know what? He answers. All the time. Every time.

Where would I be without praise and prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment